University of Nottingham
  • Print

Frequently asked questions

Please select a category or view our glossary of terms.

If you can't find what you are looking for, please contact us.

General queries

What is the ranking of the University of Nottingham?
For information on our rankings, visit  UK league tables or I nternational league tables.
What are the term dates and other key University dates?
To view the dates of terms and semesters for the academic year, see our  key dates webpages.
What courses do you offer? 
Details about all our courses and every level of study we offer can be found on our courses page.
How will Brexit affect me as a student at the University of Nottingham?  
Guidance for new and current students on fees, funding, immigration regulations and opportunities to study abroad after the UK's departure from the EU can be found on our  Brexit information for students webpages.
What are the entry requirements for your courses? 
For entry requirements, see the undergraduate course pages or the postgraduate course pages.
What can I do after I have graduated? 
See our Careers and Employability Service for advice on careers after University.
Can I visit the University?

Please see our Visiting us pages for information on the best way to experience our campuses.

You can also take a virtual tour to explore our campuses online or watch one of our YouTube videos about the University.
Does the University have accommodation on campus?
Yes, the University has a variety of accommodation – see our Accommodation webpages.
What English language qualifications do I need?

IELTS is the most widely accepted qualification at the University for non-English speaking natives. However, other qualifications may be accepted. Please contact the school/department that you are interested in applying to for details.

Where can I find help for international students?
There are dedicated webpages for international students. We also have country-specific sections online, where you can find information specifically for your nationality.
Will I be able to park my car on campus?

Students who live in halls of residence or have a term time address within a radius of 15 miles of University Park or Jubilee Campus will not be eligible for a permit. 

All students at Sutton Bonington Campus will be eligible for a permit for parking on that campus only. Concessionary permits are subject to strict criteria, please refer to our  traffic regulations.
Does the University have any sports facilities?
For further information on all our facilities please visit the  Department of Sport website.
What support do you offer for students with a disability or dyslexia?

The University is committed to promoting access for students who have a disability, dyslexia or a long-term medical condition. For information on the support we offer, visit our Accessibility webpage.

The University’s Disability Statement, which lists services, facilities and opportunities available throughout the University, can be viewed on  our website.
What help can I get if I have difficulty with the work once I start my course?

The University has an excellent range of support services which cover areas including health, welfare and study support.

For personal problems which may affect your work, you can speak to your personal tutor or any member of staff in complete confidence. If they're unable to help with a particular problem, they'll help you find someone who can.
What is the cost of living like for students living in Nottingham?

Nottingham can be an affordable city to live in compared to other parts of the UK. 

The type of accommodation that you choose and your personal lifestyle will impact on your living costs. You should also budget for food, clothes, books and other lifestyle costs such as sport, leisure and social activities. Our  online budget planner can help you manage your money.


Where can I find the most up to date information about undergraduate courses
For the most up to date information on our courses please visit our online prospectus. If you have received a printed prospectus, please view our updates page for changes that have been made since the time of going to print.
How do I apply for an undergraduate course? 
Undergraduate degree applications must be made online through UCAS. Full details about the application process can be found in our dedicated webpages.
Does the University accept alternative qualifications to A levels for undergraduate degree courses? 
The University accepts a range of  alternative qualifications in addition to A levels. If you require further guidance, please contact us.
Where can I find information about bursaries and financial support?
Information about funding for our undergraduate degree courses can be found in our Financial Support webpages. There are also subject-specific bursaries and scholarships which you may be eligible for.
I want to apply to start university in the year before that which is shown in the online prospectus. How do I do that?
You will need to check if places are available on the course you are interested. Please contact the Student Recruitment Support Hub for further information, either through our enquiry form, or by calling +44 (0)115 951 5559.
What if my grades don't meet your entry requirements, or I haven't studied the subjects you ask for?

The entry requirements listed in our prospectuses indicate the typical requirement for each course. If you have studied a different qualification to A levels or IB, please check our alternative qualifications listings.

Some subjects also have foundation programmes which help bring you up to the required level to join an undergraduate degree programme.


Where can I find the most up to date information about undergraduate courses
For the most up to date information on our courses, visit  our course pages.
How can I apply for a postgraduate course?
Full details can be found in our how to apply section.
When should I apply for a postgraduate course? 

Most taught postgraduate courses start in mid-September. Applications can be made any time in the preceding 12 months, preferably at least six months before you start your studies here. However, applications made later than that will be considered if places are available.

Application deadlines

For the majority of postgraduate courses there is no closing date for applications, but we recommend you apply sooner rather than later and ideally before the end of July. Overseas applicants must apply before 9 August to allow for visas to be processed.

For some courses, applications have to be made through UCAS with a closing date of 15 January, for example Graduate Entry Nursing and MA Social Work.

Where do I send my supporting documents? 
Supporting documents can be uploaded onto our online application system. Please note that if an offer of a place is made, this may be conditional upon receipt of originals or certified copies.
What funding is available to postgraduate students? 
Funding for postgraduate students can come from many sources, including scholarships, research councils and charities. You can find advice and guidance on funding on our postgraduate funding pages.
How long will it take to get a decision on my postgraduate application? 

If you have applied for a taught masters course, we aim to have a decision to you within 6–8 weeks provided you have sent all your supporting documents. You will receive an email message once the status of your application has changed if you have applied online.

If you have applied for a research degree, the decision-making process can take several weeks, due to the time it can take to confirm a suitable supervisor.
What grades do I need to gain entry onto a masters programme? 

Applicants should hold a good first degree with at least a second-class honours, or an equivalent qualification. 

However, we take all aspects of your application into consideration including academic background, work history and references. Requirements may vary course to course but you can find details in the postgraduate online prospectus.
What is the difference between taught courses and research courses?  

Taught courses can provide anything from vocational training to preparation for further research. They are generally delivered by a lecturer in a lecture theatre or seminar room. They usually last around one year for full-time study and course content is modular.

Research degrees are generally research-led and involve a large amount of independent reading or lab work and fieldwork. Research degrees tend to be longer in duration as students gain a greater understanding of their chosen area. A common destination for research students is to enter academia.
What accommodation is offered to postgraduate students?
There are a range of self-catered options for postgraduate students at our UK campuses, details can be found on our Accommodation pages. You can also choose to live in privately rented accommodation.
When can I start a PhD?

Entry to most postgraduate programmes is available on five dates throughout the year: 1 October, 1 December, 1 February, 1 April and 1 July.

However, we recommend that you check the  online prospectus for details of specific course start dates, or contact your school or department for details.

Are postgraduates generally more employable? What is the average starting salary of a Nottingham postgraduate?
96.6% of postgraduates secured work or further study within six months of graduation. The average starting salary was £26,500. These figures are based on known destinations of full-time home postgraduates who were available for work, 2016/17.

Course FAQs


University of Nottingham

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5151
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3666
email: Contact us